On 28 April 2010, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands opened the new Diary Room as part of the ceremonies marking the 50th anniversary of the Anne Frank House.
Anne was given the red and green checked diary on her thirteenth birthday on 12 June 1942. A few weeks later her family had to go into hiding. In the secret annexe Anne soon filled her original diary, and continued writing on loose papers.
When in March 1944 Anne heard that diaries would be collected after the war, she decided to completely rewrite her diary. Her great dream was to become a famous writer and journalist. Her rewritten version is made up of 215 loose sheets, twenty of which are displayed in rotation in the museum.
The two other books on display are Anne’s ‘Favourite Quotes Notebook’, in which she copied out quotations that she liked, and her ‘Tales Book’, with short stories she made up herself.
In 2009 UNESCO added Anne Frank’s manuscripts to the World Documentary Heritage List, the Memory of the World Register.