The Secret Annex
In December 1940, Otto Frank's business was registered at Prinsengracht 263. Like many other houses on the Amsterdam canals, the property consisted of a house with an annex.
In the warehouse on the ground floor, the products they traded - pectin, herbs, and spices - were stored and packaged. The company offices were housed on the first floor. The annex was used as a laboratory to experiment with fruit jams. In 1942, Otto Frank decided to set up a hiding place in there, for his family and that of his employee Hermann van Pels.